Wednesday, August 27, 2008

What to expect at Shadow Lane (IMHO)

This was a response to a friend who was asking what to expect at a Shadow Lane party (he'd heard good and bad things about SL), and this was what I wrote:

At least some of what happens at a large party like Shadow Lane depends upon what you are looking for there. If you're just looking to play, that’s a given: this is the place for people who are into spanking. A wide number of attendees are into a wide number of other activities, too. This is your playground.

If you are looking for a partner, you’ll be in one of the best places in the country to meet that special someone. You might NOT meet the right person, or you might meet someone who lives too far away. But at the very least, you will have the chance to meet people and network more. I went to a bunch of SL parties as a single before my husband and I hooked up (through SL, I should add).

Yet, a newcomer will have to overcome any shyness he or she has. SOME folks also may have to overcome any notion that they'll be playing with people who look like the video actresses or actors. There will be a wide variety of body types and ages. On the other hand, there’s a possibility you’ll get to play with a “star.” Anything can happen. You don’t know, until you ask, what someone might be looking for.

Will there be cliques there? I suppose that depends on how you use the word, but yes, there will be groups of people who know each other and like to hang out with each other. Are they “exclusive” and unwelcoming of anyone new? I’ve never come across that, at least not blatently. I didn’t have the guts to try to establish contact with the young crowd of video babes who were hanging out together. I’m not saying they wouldn’t have wanted to hang out with me … but on the other hand, I’m forty-five, most of them are in their twenties, and I didn’t push. I also don’t drink or smoke, so I tend not to hang out with people who are drinking a lot and smoking. One-on-one, though, I’ve talked with many of the “stars” and they’re generally very sweet, nice people.

I myself have friends whose company I enjoy, and I like to seek them out year after year. Our last-night-of-the-party dinners are always fun. There are tops I like to play with. I know their style and I know it’s what I’m looking for. Easier to jump right in with someone you know, right?

But why would I ignore someone new and interesting? I personally think people are hoping to meet new people no matter how many parties they've gone to and how many people they already know.

I’m a pain slut and an exhibitionist. I like private, serious play, too. My husband and I both like to play with others. We also like fun, open-minded, intelligent people. This party is perfect for us.

I approach it with some expectations, a little nervousness (I still get a little anxious in large crowds), but mostly excitement. I will have a good time. I’ll get to spank people. People will spank me.

No comments: