Monday, April 20, 2009

Easing back into reality

It's a chilly, cloudy Monday morning. I made the wrong decision when I put on my light denim jacket instead of my warmer three-quarter-length zip-up jacket and I was shivering on the few blocks frome the subway to the office. I hope it gets a little warmer later; if not, I'll use the office gym instead of walking outside today.

On Friday before I left work, I looked at my in-bin and decided that I was in good enough shape deadline-wise to not have to bring any work home. I did no reading or editing on the way home, and this morning I did no reading or editing on the way in. Instead I had a mindless "old-lady" diversion -- looking through "Better Homes & Gardens" for food, exercise or decorating suggestions. (The "garden" part of BH&G remains ignored, since we don't have a yard or even a balcony.) I ripped one or two interesting pages out and, upon arriving at work, left the magazine in the ladies' room lounge. Sharing magazines is the practice at our office. I have a few more to go through in a similar fashion.

My subscription to BH&G is about to expire and I'm not renewing -- part of last year's New Year's resolution to reduce clutter in the apartment. I love flipping through a magazine more than reading it online, so it's VERY tempting when I get an offer in the mail for a great deal on a magazine that I like. Recently I was offered "The New Yorker" for $25/year -- it was SO hard to pass it up, but I did. Also gave up my subscriptions to "The Nation" and "Real Simple."

But I'm rambling here. This blog was supposed to be about my reentry into the work world after a nice weekend. So far it's been reasonably painless. Of course, I'm not working yet, I'm goofing off -- don't tell! My boss is out today, so that's another good side to this particular Monday.

Let me not worry about anything and just handle things one at a time. Let me allow myself an hour for lunch, away from my desk. Let me allow myself to leave at 5 p.m. on the dot. When was the last time I did THAT? CAN I do it?

8 comments:

sandy richards said...

I hope you get to leave at 5 p.m. It happens so rarely, but feels so good.

I, too, am trying to shed clutter. There's too much stuff in this world, and not enough space. And, as many agree, paper - magazines, newspapers, catalogues, and mail - creates a tidal wave of stuff.

But I am sad that you've given up Real Simple. I looooove Real Simple. Yet I know you're doing the right thing, and I'm behind you...leafing through my copy of Real Simple...but behind you, nonetheless.

Anonymous said...

the weather today somewhat matches my mood. Great to see you over the weekend.. I totally dug the few swats to my ass in the hotel, fyi! ;-)
Great job with the brunch place, too!
See you at OTK and the run/walk, ok? I HOPE the weather will be better than it was today! ~Lisa

Ms. Cassandra (Sandy) Park said...

Sandy: I did love Real Simple -- it always had great ideas. Well, I'm not giving up magazines entirely, just not ordering any more to be delivered on a regular basis...

Ms. Cassandra (Sandy) Park said...

Lisa, you're fun to hang out with. Thanks for joining me on our little "side excursion." Hope we can do that again soon. As far as the walk goes, I'm going to put out another call to my family, maybe a few more of them can come through with pledges.

Lisa said...

Sandy, ditto on both of your first point. :-) I felt so comfortable at that 'excursion'. I am sadder and sadder lately when I have to go back to CT. Damn..that city life grows on ya!
Can't wait for 5/2. Hope the weather cooperates..wait...OBEYS me. Harumphh. PS: Real Simple kicks ass. Def one of my favorites. I get soooo many free mags b/c my friend Steve works at an ad agency. I can save them for you if you like, and can get you almost anything. Oh, wait..you are trying to AVOID clutter! Oops! ;-) ~Lisa

Lisa said...

Update, update, update!! Which of your cats has your tongue? :-) Cat ~Lisa

Ms. Cassandra (Sandy) Park said...

I'm going to write soon...

Lisa said...

Succinct! Should 'we' be saying " yay" or.. " Ruh-Roh"...?

~Lisa