Wednesday, October 15, 2008

It all started with the oatmeal...


I promised yesterday that I'd try to have a good day, that I wouldn't get upset over anything, and would just let people go their merry ways without reacting. But it's so hard to stay nice, when your day starts off with crappy oatmeal.

I happened to make it my goal this week to eat oatmeal every day for breakfast. We left the house without eating breakfast, thinking we'd get something at Starbucks. Starbucks, which we LUV, has been advertising "Perfect Oatmeal," to which you can add raisins, brown sugar, or nuts. It looks good in the pic and comes in a decently sized cup.

What is handed to me is this, a soupy lukewarm mess that only fills up the cup half-way:


I try to eat it, like a good girl, but I can't do it. I finally go back up to the counter and ask the barrista if he can microwave it for about a minute. He takes the cup but, instead of microwaving it, he holds it under the hot water nozzle and starts to pour more water into the cup. "Oh, no," I say (and I'm being nice the whole time). "It's already too runny!" Apparently, they don't HAVE a microwave at this Starbucks. He offers to give me a fresh cup. He doesn't put as much water into the new cup so it's slightly thicker -- but it's still pretty crappy.

Since I felt gypped and dissatisfied, when I got to work I did an oatmeal "do-over." My building has a cafeteria where you can get breakfast and lunch. The oatmeal is always the proper thickness, and you can add raisins, nuts, or brown sugar for free. Cheap and hearty. This is more like it. Notice how the spoon is standing up to testify to the thickness of this oatmeal:


Now, entering the cafeteria, I'd had to walk around a guy who was talking on his cell phone in the doorway. Not too bothered by his cell phone usage -- the cafeteria is always noisy -- but WAS somewhat disturbed to witness him, a man in a business suit, in a very public place, reaching down to GRAB HIS CROTCH. Guess he needed to adjust something ... didn't think anyone would be looking his way? Not something one likes to see at work.

My junk email today included THIS gem: "Don't settle for a small tool in your pants."

I'm not saying the day degenerated from there, but my morning irritation took a long time to go away.

3 comments:

Caroline Grey said...

Honestly, the difference between bad oatmeal and good oatmeal is light-years apart. More than just about any other food I can think of. I'll eat good oatmeal like it's going out of style, but bad oatmeal makes me gag just looking at it. What a terrible way to start the day. I wouldn't blame you a bit for grumpiness.

Funny Brat Girl's Spanking Adventures said...

LOL! Sandy!! I totally understand your morning frustration whether it be oatmeal or loud talking fools...doesn't the world know that this is "my" world and that they are there to just add color to "my" world...LOL!! Ok, so bottom line, I can totally sympathize with you...

~maria fbg~

Ms. Cassandra (Sandy) Park said...

I had GOOD oatmeal this morning! I'm sticking to my commitment. I have seen no crotch grabbers yet. All is well. Thanks for the support! And everyone have a pleasant day!